Austrian Food

Austria Shop

January 30, 2007

Original Heller Viennese Candy Sweets Vienna

Filed under: Austrian Candy Sweets,Buy - Order Online — admin @ 4:47 pm

The Original Viennese Candy from Heller exists since the 19th century.

The candies are manufactured since that time according to an unchanged receipt. The fillings come from different tropical fruits.

No other candy as the Original Heller represent the most fruity candy taste of a past century long ago, when Austria was an empire and played a big role in international politics.

ORDER VIENNA CANDY ONLINE

wiener zuckerl

16 Comments

1. Dear Sirs,I used to love these sweets as a child. Would you have a picture of a wrapper/box/packet etc.you could show me from around the 1950s? It would bring back happy memories. sincerely, Lilian Bell

Comment by Lilian Bell — November 19, 2007 @ 12:01 am

2. Dear Sirs, would you have a picture of any wrappings of this sweet from around the 1950s? I used to love these sweets as a child and it would bring back happy memories. sincerely Lilian Bell

Comment by Lilian Bell — November 19, 2007 @ 12:04 am

3. I am Kathy Heller, and I was married to Herbert Hanz Heller, formerly of Austria, who was the son of the founder of Heller Bonbons. As a 13 year old child, he was forced to leave Austria with other Jewish children just before the German invasion. Of course, he was separated from his family’s business and created a new life for himself in the United States. He brought with him the candies of his family’s business. Herbert Heller died in 2004, but I have all of his personal possessions. He often talked about the family business and the tragedy that was brought by the German invasion.

Comment by Kathy Heller — January 27, 2008 @ 3:50 pm

4. this candy looks like crap!! 🙂 sorry i really shouldn’t be judging a candy wrapper by it cover but oh welll… next time make the rappers more coloful!! 🙂 ok thanks for ur time! 🙂

Comment by kayla — March 12, 2008 @ 5:13 pm

5. The Heller family was our friends/neighbors in New York when I was a child. They gave us some of these incredible candies. I hadn’t seen them in decades — but then my elderly mom reminded me that they actually owned the company, and that they were Viennese. So the internet query worked. I am so happy to see the genuine candy still exists!! I will order some!

Comment by Philip Tanimoto — February 21, 2010 @ 6:25 am

6. I knew these Wiener Zuckerl during the years I lived in Vienna (1955-60). I knew Henny Heller and knew she was of the Heller Candy family. I still have snapshots of her among my mementoes. Years later, when I lived in Salt Lake City and was in law practice there, I always kept these candies in a bowl in my office. Today, my daughter (who is now 49) asked me if they are still available. I am delighted to see that they are. I live in New York City now and would love to know if these candies are available here – and if so, where? And where is Henny – and how is she?

Comment by Joan Traub — March 23, 2010 @ 3:46 am

7. i acquired 3 32# tins of rock candy that were pack in oct. 1964 for civil defense and i was wondering if you could tell me the story behind them?

Comment by Ronald Bruner — July 28, 2010 @ 6:03 am

8. These candies were part of my childhood experience in New York in the early 50’s. Being the offspring of parents who were first cousins to each other, I was a frail sheltered feminine boy who should have been a girl but that’s not how I came out. My only adventures were eating different candies and getting beaten up by larger male children. I had terrible dental problems as there was something wrong with my immune system causing my teeth to decay very early but the doctors then didn’t know it. I was constantly having dental work done and it was painful because they did not use novacaine back then. My craving for sugar only made the situation ten times worse and to this day I still have a weakness for the cursed stuff. Heller BonBons drove me crazy. I would eat a whole bag of them in secret. I used to chew them up just to get to the tangy fruity soft centers. I suppose one could draw an analogy between them and bones, which are hard on the outside but have a soft inner filling, the marrow, that a lot of people prize as an epicurean delight. I did not have the patience to suck them until they were soft as you were supposed to do, so the hard and sticky outer sugar shell played havoc with my teeth. My parents never bought them, they were found in my aunt’s house in Westchester County, in her liquor cabinet, where I would also sneak a drink of Creme De Cacao and/or Creme De Menthe. Also Anisette. I was a very sick child due to my sugar addiction and the screwed up genetics I inherited. I also wanted to dress as a girl but wasn’t allowed to. I hated the boy clothing I was forced to wear, it was painful and did not fit my body. I wanted soft clothing. Today I live as a shemale. But I am happier now than when I was trying so hard to be the boy and man I was not. I am much healthier than I was as a child, have no physical ailments, exercise heavily, am slim and have no weight problems, eat a good diet, and have all the men I want. No candy though.

Comment by Michaela — September 2, 2010 @ 1:16 pm

9. I too knew the Heller family. My grandfather was Adolf Steiner of Vienna, and his sister Gretl (also known as Kleda) married Johan Heller, also known as John (after he emigrated to the US), the son of Gustav and Mathilde Heller. Johan went on to marry twice. My mother grew up in Hitzing, Vienna, and was close to Peter Heller, her cousin, Johan and Gretl’s son. Peter eventually became an academic in the US (SUNY at Buffalo). All of that is another story, another world. Two very different books from this side of the Heller family are John Heller’s ‘Memoirs of a Reluctant Capitalist’ (New York: Abaris Books, 1983), and his son Peter Heller’s ‘A child analysis with Anna Freud’ (International Universities Press: Madison, Connecticut, 1990). Peter Heller died in the 1990s. I have lost touch with him and his family now, although from time to time I hear about his daughter, a film-maker called Eva or Eve, but can never find out how to make contact with her. My clearest memory of Heller Sweets was a book-shaped box of candies, maybe chocolates, that we used to get for Christmas in London in the 1950s, but this may be a false dream. For what it is worth, I have an incurably sweet tooth, so perhaps some of those Heller genes took a detour into my system.
    Peter O’Connor (Tokyo)

Comment by Peter O'Connor — September 26, 2010 @ 3:57 pm

10. Hi i hope some of the people who commented before read this. My name is Sam Heller. @ peter O’Connor, eve the filmaker is my aunt. peter heller was my uncle, he died of pancreotic cancer in the 90s when i was young. im currently enrolled in university in the U.S. any of you are welcome to send me an email id love to hear from people who knew my family…. i don’t know much about them.. email me at sjh13@geneseo.edu
    Sam Heller

Comment by sam heller — November 10, 2010 @ 3:50 am

11. Hello – I am Marc Heller. My father, John (Hans) Heller fled Austria in 1939 with my half-brother Peter. I am Sam Heller’s father. My father was born in 1896 and died at age 91. I was born and raised in the US. I often went to Vienna as a child to visit the candy factory there. After coming to the US, my father started Heller Candy based in Paterson, NJ. The Wiener Zuckerl was not made in the US. My father Hans married for the third time to my mother Helen. He re-married after her death at age 80. My father was old enough to be my grandfather, having me when he was 52. My brother Peter was a professor of German (and was also chairman for a time) and Comparative literature at SUNY Buffalo. I am a gynecologist. Heller Candy is, I believe, now made in Argentina, although I’m not sure of that.nn1

Comment by Marc Heller — February 2, 2011 @ 2:01 am

12. hello,
    I am an artist doing research on Heller bonbons. Researchers found a bag with heller bonbons in a basement in Athens that used to be German detention wards during 1941-44.
    We are preparing an exhibition in that space and I would like to get information for the bonbons and their story that I could possibly use for my artwork.
    Please contact me if you have any information about Heller bonbons. email: marianymf@hotmail.com

Comment by Maria Nymfiadi — February 17, 2011 @ 6:49 pm

13. Hello,

I am so very glad to find here informations of my former boss, John Heller and his family. I worked at his office in New York. I still have a stub showing my weeks earnings at Heller (1959). In our office were all the different types of those most deliscious Heller Candies to be seen. And I was allowed to try some.
    My favoured was the filled fruit bonbons.

I was a young girl coming from Germany into the “Big Apple”.

And it was wonderful for me to work in this most elegant
    Heller office,way up in a sky scraper. I was not only amazed by the transport of the office mail. I saw snowflakes, not coming from above, but blown by the wind upwards at my window. And one day there was a man facing me. He was cleaning the window from the outside in that hight! In the office worked Mr. DuBoff and an Austrain Ms. Minni Heissig, names of others I do not remember. I worked there until the office was moved to New Jersey, where the candies were produced.

1970 I returned to Germany, where I live happily in my hometown having fond memories of my time in New York and of the Heller Office.
    To all in the Heller family my best.

Saphire

Comment by Saphire — June 7, 2011 @ 2:54 am

14. In vienna, in the years preceeding WWII, my grandmother Elise Pohr was a professional cook that worked for the Heller family.
    My father was a friend of Fritz Heller, son? of the Hellers.
    I was told that Fritz was killed in a skiing accident or in an avalanche in the Alps.
    I still have a picture of Fritz as a boy that was my father’s.
    My family came to the US before WWII & settled in Cleveland.
    If anyone can verify the story of Fritz please let me know
    Hank Pohr
    hpohr@neo.rr.com

Comment by Hank Pohr — January 13, 2013 @ 3:52 pm

15. My grandfather worked for the Heller Candy Company. This is a very interesting website. I’m glad to see that it exists

Comment by Ben — June 21, 2013 @ 5:12 am

16. Once you find a mask you like, you should stick with it.

Vitamin D is a hormone-like substance critical for the vast majority of your biological functions, including:
    . The more you surrender, the more you find pouring into your life.

Here is my blog post – chloe sims sodium lauryl sulfate free shampoosnn1

Comment by chloe sims sodium lauryl sulfate free shampoos — July 20, 2014 @ 11:16 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.